Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Seedlings and SPRING!! Heirloom and non-gmo from Seed!!

I have a definite obsession passion for all things heirloom seed.  Some days I find myself daydreaming about new varieties that I'd like to add to Mary's Heirloom Seeds selection.  Seriously!!!
Heirloom Seeds planted in Peat Pellets
At the moment, my patio is full of seedlings and my laundry room is covered in peat pellets with germinating heirloom seeds.

I just planted:
Country Gentleman Sweet Corn
Call Wonder Bell Peppers
Garden Huckleberry
Chocolate habanero
Thai Sweet Pepper
Golden Marconi Pepper
Emerald Green Tomato
Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach
Sage
Echinacea
Genovese Basil
Borage
Dill
Feverfew
Lavender
Basil in cups to give as gifts!

Already growing on the Patio:
Pink Oxheart Tomato
Amana's Orange Tomato
Beefsteak Tomato
Black Beauty Eggplant
Japanese White Egg (eggplant)
Radicchio
Pak Choy Cabbage
Little Gem Lettuce
Sage
Genovese Basil
Dark Purple Opal Basil


One little Eggplant


In case you had not noticed, I really enjoy planting in Peat Pellets.  They are easy to use and virtually mess-free.

Our plan was to move to another house with a bigger growing area last month but that didn't happen.  Then it was pushed to the end of March.  However, it doesn't look like the house is ready and now we're not so sure that we want to move.  I was a little disappointed but it's not the end of the world.  Anything could happen at the moment.

So...In the next few weeks I'll be doing a bit of planning.  If I have a limited amount of space I want to make the most of it.  I'll figure out a way to plant everything I want in the space that I have available.

I know it's only March but there's lots growing already in the garden!   

Currently growing are Serrano and Bell Peppers, Lots of Basil, Red-Fig Tomato, Kentucky Wonder (pole) and Blue Lake Bush Beans, Black Beauty Eggplant, Swiss Chard, Pak Choy Cabbage and Beets!
We ate these red-Fig Tomatoes on our salad yesterday!
Helpful Links for Seed Starting Made Easy:

Want to get started with your own Heirloom Garden?

There are still quite a few varieties for sale 
through March 10th including:
Long Island Brussels Sprouts, Black Beauty Eggplant, Snowball Self-blanching Cauliflower, 5 Color Silverbeet Swiss Chard, Tom Thumb Lettuce and Emerald Green Tomatoes.

Brand NEW items: Rosemary, "Allergy", Chamomile and "Flashes" Tincture Kits are NOW available!
**Order before March 10th and get a pack of Basil seeds FREE** 


Linking up HERE , The HomeAcre Hop and Wildcrafting Wednesday.

11 comments:

Garden Chef said...

New life eh! Very informative! Thanks

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

Wonderful!! - I too love heirloom seeds.
Thank you for linking up to The Great Blog Train! Angie@godsgrowinggarden.com Marci@stonecottageadventures.com Helen@blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com

Mommy Evolution said...

Time to shine! Share your favorite post of the week at Friday Flash Blog Hop! (www.fridayflashblog.blogspot)

Michele said...

So glad gardening season is right around the corner. Although if you look out the window right now you wouldn't know it. It's snowing!

Here is my latest post and my gardening website. Hope you visit!

http://www.mrsgardengirl.blogspot.com/2013/03/hooked-on-crochetno-pun-intended.html

http://woodlotfarms.com/

Cherished Handmade Treasures said...

Great post. If you would like to share with us at Creative Corner Hop there is a new linky party posted every Monday.

Sandy
Cherished Handmade Treasures

Countrified Hicks said...

Oh my, this looks delicious. I would love for you to come and share it on my weekly link up that just went live. http://countrifiedhicks.blogspot.com/2013/03/mondays-with-countrified-hicks-6.html

Feel free to link up to 3 posts!

Shabby soul said...

I really admire a lot the idea of self growing our food, together with flowers!
It's a good thing go back to a more natural way of living.
xoxo
Silvia

Unknown said...

I am so sorry your move didn't work out, but everything happens for a reason.

I am in the process of getting some seedlings started. I have always gardened using plants that I picked up at the nursery. This will be my first time trying seeds! Wish me luck!

You have a very long list of plants for your garden. I can't wait to see how they turn out!

Thank you for linking up to the In and Out of the Kitchen link party! Can't wait to see what you bring to the party next week!

Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

Black Fox Homestead said...

Moving and building is very hard. We did that last fall when we built this place and moved in Oct. We really tried to keep our garden going but we didn't have the best success. Yours looks like it is doing great. I hope you have a wonderful harvest with more than you can manage. :)

Thank you for linking up to our hop. Hope to see you tomorrow.

~Jenny

http://blackfoxhomestead.com/the-homeacre-hop/the-homeacre-hop-10/

Lisa Lynn said...

I can't wait to start planting my new seeds from Mary's Heirloom Seeds!
Thanks for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you this Sunday at:
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-7.html

Unknown said...

craving the first tomato from the garden! Thanks for sharing this post. I will check Mary's out.