Saturday, January 26, 2013

Fresh Basil Tincture

I'll most likely be jumping from dried herb to fresh herb tinctures in the next few days since I'm using up what I've got.  Basil is one of those homegrown herbs that you can never have too much!  Growing your own is much more cost effective that buying cut herbs or even a plant from the store.  Grow from seed and grow organically.  It's easy!

So far I have shared Chamomile tincture and Cayenne tincture recipes.  You can read about Basil here.
Fine Verde Basil

"One of the primary medicinal uses for basil is for its anti-inflammatory properties. This effect stems from eugenol, a volatile oil in basil that blocks enzymes in the body that cause swelling, making basil an ideal treatment for people with arthritis.

Basil, especially as an extract or oil, is known to have exceptionally powerful antioxidant properties that can protect the body from premature aging, common skin issues, age-related problems and even some types of cancer. The herb also contains the flavonoids orientin and vicenin, which are plant pigments that shield your cell structures from oxygen and radiation damage.  

Basil oil can be used to treat constipation, stomach cramps and indigestion as well as the cold, flu, asthma, whooping cough, bronchitis and sinus infections. It is also a great source of magnesium, an essential mineral that helps the body’s blood vessels relax, which can improve blood flow." 

If you were to purchase a tincture in the store, it would cost 
approx $45 for 4 ounces.  Making your own is the best way to go.
Now for the recipe!!!  
fresh basil, washed
 You'll need a sterile jar with a lid, fresh basil and alcohol (Everclear)
fresh basil, chopped
Fresh Basil Tincture  
Day 1
Ingredients:
1 cup fresh Basil, chopped
2 cups Everclear

Directions
Place the herbs in your jar and cover with Everclear.  Shake every other day (or every day)  **Label your jar**

Tincture is ready in 4-6 weeks, strain out herbs and place in a darker jar or leave in a dark place (cabinet).
Dosage for Adults: 1 - 2 ml, two times daily

*Because I used alcohol as the solvent and I'll keep the finished tincture in an amber bottle, this herbal remedy should last indefinitely.  I could pass it on to the next generation but we'll use it up before then!
Day 10
Disclaimer: Not as a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or following any treatment suggested by anyone on this site. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs or diagnose your particular medical history.
 
Do you use herbal remedies?  Have something growing in your garden but you don't know what to do with it?

23 comments:

Deanna Lyn said...

i really enjoyed this post was a very good post, thanks for sharing,

Meg Hodson said...

Visiting from the Thursday Thump. Following via GFC and Bloglovin'. Cheers!

http://www.happykidsinc.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Do you drink this or apply to your body? Not sure how to use a tincture as I have never used them. Take care.

Linda said...

Do you drink this or apply to your body? Not sure how to use a tincture as I have never used them. Take care.

mary_smith said...

Hi Linda! This recipe is to ingest but only in small amounts. 1-2ml at a time
This is a fantastic herbal remedy.
Thanks for stopping by!

mary_smith said...

Thanks Meg! Have a wonderful week!

mary_smith said...

Thank you Deanna! I am working on quite a few additional herbal remedies to restock our "medicine " cabinet.

Becca Acker said...

I would like to try growing herbs someday in the near future! :)

Becky Elmuccio said...

I love basil, but I have yet to be successful in growing it. Maybe this summer! Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Greens!

Becky Elmuccio said...

I have yet to be good at growing basil, but I love it and its great health features. Maybe this summer! Thanks for linking up at Tuesday Greens!

Cinella Reyes said...

Great post, thanks for sharing!

-Cinella @ The Mami Blog

Lisa Lynn said...

I love basil and this sound like a great way to save the essence of the herb! Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop Mary!!!

Alison Bayne said...

Found you on the HomeAcre hop and following you now. Thanks for this informative post. Basil's my favourite herb and I have a couple of pots on my windowsill - good to learn one more thing to do with it.

Carol said...

Visiting from the Selfsufficient Homeacre. I enjoyed your interesting info. I enjoy growing herbs and always have basil in my garden. I like to make and freeze pesto--also enjoy making a tomato sauce with lots of basil.

mamarosemary.com said...

What a great idea! I have never used basil medicinally and it looks to have many wonderful properties. Thanks for sharing them!
Also, thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

What a great use for basil! We had so much basil last year we really didn't know what to do with it, so this year I know exactly what to do. :-)

Lelanie Denso said...

what a great use! I am used to herbal remedies as my parents use it when I was a kid. thanks for sharing this post!

Donna Lewis said...

Great site! I'll make this one for sure!

Unknown said...

Hey - what about soaking basil in rubbing alcohol and using topically - rubbing in on the areas where arthritis is?

Tom

mary_smith said...

Hi Tom!
I tried to respond but you are a no-reply.
I'm not sure if the tinctures work the same as a topical. Your best bet is to make a salve for topical application. Also, it is important to research which herbs should and should not be used topically.
Thanks for stopping by!

Anney E.J. Ryan said...

hello! thank you for this tutorial!

i made a basil tincture; however, I left the basil sitting in alcohol for six months.

do you think i can still use it?

i'd really like to!

Thank you for your help!

Anney

Mary Smith said...

This tincture is for consumption

Mary Smith said...

If you left the mixture in alcohol then it should be good for at least 1 year. I have read that, stored properly, they can last indefinitely.