Thursday, January 10, 2013

Veggie Gardening in the Southwest US

My first post Veggie Gardening in the Southern US (gulf coast) was such a success that I thought I would continue to share additional regions in the US.  These are not USDA zone specific regions but still very helpful.

The Southwest region includes California, southern Nevada, Arizona and part of Utah.  According to Mother Earth News, the top 10 crops for the Southwest region are:
Potato, Garlic, Cherry Tomato, Bulb Onion, Slicing Tomato, Carrot, Summer Squash, Snow/Snap pea, Paste Tomato and Sweet Pepper.

That doesn't mean that growing any other veggie will be difficult, only that these might be easier.  I try to grow a little bit of everything!

Also according to Mother Earth News, planting time is February.  Many of the varieties that are ready to grow in the Gulf Coast region are also ready to be planted in the Southwest region.  Varieties include Beets, bok choy (pak choy), Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Chard, Eggplant, Fennel, Lettuce, Onions, peas, Peppers, Radish, Potatoes, green Onions, Spinach, Tomatoes and ALL Herbs.

My advice to anyone getting started:
-Plant Basil!!!  It's easy
-More easy varieties are: lettuce, beets, radish, turnips and borage
-Try Peat Pellets for seed-starting made easy
-Plant more seeds than you think you'll need.  Stuff happens!
-Take notes or keep a log of what works, what didn't work, questions and comments.  Or blog about it!
Borage is a companion plant for Tomatoes , Squash and more!
If you are looking for additional help for natural or organic pest control check out "Natural and Organic Pest Control." I use Neem Oil for powdery mildew when I just can't get rid of it any other way.  
Consider Companion Planting for natural pest control and healthy veggies.


Helpful links:









Would you like more gardening info specific to your area?
Let me know!

Veggie Gardening in the Southern US (Gulf Coast) 
PURPLE Basil!

9 comments:

Stacee said...

Following you from "Follow Who? Hop". Great info for Southwest US gardening. I'm a new gardener, we took a stab at it last year and didn't really get much from it but this year we are doing more research and hopefully have something to show for it.

Lisa Lynn said...

Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop! This is great info for those with much warmer and nicer climates than me ;-) Can't wait to see what you share with us next week!

Mary Smith said...

Thanks Stacee! Your best bet is to start with Heirloom Seeds. We are totally non-gmo and non0hybrid here and I am confident about my garden.

Thanks Lisa! I'll get to the cooler regions this week. I figured I'd start with the south since I'm still growing over here. The weather today said "unseasonably warm." Ya, like in the 80s!!!

Ladies Holiday said...

This is so great to know! My husband wants to get started gardening and these all sound straightforward (not to mention delicious fresh outof the garden)

Thank you for sharing on the Photo Friday Blog Hop- we look forward to seeing you again next week.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

I used to plant basil and the slugs and snails would eat it up and I would get so frustrated. Then one day a basil plant self seeded itself across my lawn to the other side of the garden and grew a huge plant. It was so great for homemade pesto and salads, I loved it
I live in Southern California so your post is perfect for me. Thanks
xoxo tiffani

Deanna Lyn said...

really interesting,love this wish we had a yard.
http://14surgar.blogspot.com/

Kelly Blackwell @ Heres My Take On It said...

I was so happy to see your post as I have been going through the blog hop at Our Everyday Harvest! I live in Arizona and I want desperately to plant this year. I have the pieces to make a square foot garden. I tried tomatoes last year, and it was a miserable failure. This year I have a basil plant in the kitchen by the window and at first it was losing the battle to my black thumb, but finally I think I've got it! :) I look forward to learning more about a little of everything. I hope you can stop by and say hello. PS I'm a new follower.
http://heresmytakeonit.blogspot.com/

Dree said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
An Oasis in the Desert said...

This is great and wonderful suggestions. I'm in AZ, and we tried our hand at gardening last year with quite a bit of success. We hope to plant a bigger garden this year.