Monday, October 28, 2013

"Organic" News so Nasty I Want to SPIT!

Did you read my "frustrated" post yesterday?  I will admit, We do not eat all organic and non-gmo.  However, I make a conscience effort to reduce the amount of commercially processed foods that we eat in our house.  I NEVER use harsh chemicals or pesticides in the garden EVER.

I think it is important for all of us to be more aware of what we are eating.  But wait...It's not just what we are eating but also WHO we are supporting.  If you buy organic this is a very important topic.  If you are trying to be more conscious of what you eat this is also very important.

I'm going to share a graph of Organic industry Acquisitions.  What you see might surprise you.

I first shared a similar graphic in So You think You're Buying Organic.  I'm sad to say that this has only gotten worse!

Even I was shocked to see that an "organic" seed company is owned by M&M Mars!!!  And according to this chart Stoneyfield Farms (my favorite yogurt) is owned by Dannon which also offers yogurt with milk from cows fed hormones and anti-biotics.  Lovely!

You might be asking yourself.  Why is this a big deal?

The same companies that use GMO junk and nasty chemicals in their products on one hand, sells "clean" and "healthy" products from their other hand. 

I'll give you an example: One of the ingredients in Campbell's Soup in Monosodium Glutamate; MSG. From MayoClinic:
MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — include:
  • Headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Weakness

Now back to Campbells...They also own Plum Organics (baby food).  Do you think they would use such a harmful chemical in their Baby Food products?  I hope not...But you never know!

According to this chart Snyder's-Lance owns a majority share in Late July as of 2007!!!  According to Late July, they are an independent, family owned company dedicated to making delicious organic, NON-GMO snacks! It’s our mission to ensure that future generations of families always have access to delicious food free from GMOs, toxic persistent pesticides and antibiotics. Founded in 2003 by Nicole Bernard Dawes & her late father Steve Bernard.

So how do you know what to believe?  Research!

Here's the Question of the day...The one I ask myself...The Billion Dollar question (literally):
WHY sell chemical-laden, high-fructose corn syrup, GMO junk and then turn around and sell "Healthy and Organic" foods?

The only answer I have found so far is MONEY! 

This week I plan on compiling a list of truly independent companies that sell healthier options.  In the mean time I'll be re-evaluating the foods we eat on a regular basis.  Changes are coming people! 

Keep Calm and Do your Own Research!


3 comments:

Kim said...

Aaaaaaaand this is why we all have to learn how to make everything we eat, grow our own produce and own meat/dairy producing livestock.

Because we just can't trust anyone anymore.

And I'm sort of ok with the fact that I now don't feel obligated to purchase Seeds of Change seeds any more. They always had a horrible germination rate for me.

Heavenly Bodies said...

My reason for wanting to know if corporations like General Mills, Pepsi etc own companies claiming to be organic is I don't want to give them my money.

Saddened to see Late July could be tied to a big corporation. Problem is this information is not listed on their sites. I researched every companies web site who I buy organic from, so how do we know?

Becca said...

It certainly is the money. It's too contradictory to be anything else.