Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Set Your Sail to the Windy City

I'm currently working on another project!  I'll be back tomorrow with a BIG announcement!
So today I am thrilled to bring you anther fantastic guest post.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am Kendra Thornton, and I am a seasoned traveler with tips and tricks for embarking on a journey with your family! I now reside in Chicago with my husband and children, and previously I worked as the Director of Communications for Orbitz. I have been fortunate enough to see many different corners of the world, and today I am here to discuss one in the middle of the United States: Chicago.

Set Your Sail to the Windy City and See Why I Love to Call it Home!

While I always love traveling around the globe to new and exciting destinations, nothing beats coming home and exploring my own city: Chicago, Illinois. There is always something fun, exciting, and of interest going on both day and night! While I would love to tell you about all of the great attractions Chicago has to offer, I will limit myself to just telling you about my four favorite things to do in the Windy City: shopping at the Magnificent Mile, exploring the Shedd Aquarium, a lunch and spa at the Peninsula Chicago Hotel, and eating Chicago’s best deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria.

Shopping at the Magnificent Mile

When I am in the mood to go shopping, I love visiting Chicago’s famous mile long stretch of shopping known as the “Magnificent Mile,” because of all the wonderful stores within it. Located on North Michigan Avenue between Oak Street and the Chicago River, the Magnificent Mile offers some of the best shopping in the world. No matter what you are looking for, you can buy it here. There are department stores, jewelry stores, luxury stores, and toy stores. There are shoe stores, home furnishing stores, and sports stores. Everyone in the family can find something they love. In addition to the great shopping, the Magnificent Mile also hosts exciting shows, exhibits and other special events year round. No other area of shopping can compete with all the excitement of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile!

The Shedd Aquarium

source
While shopping is exciting, when I am looking for a more relaxed and educational endeavor to bring the kids on, I love strolling through the exciting exhibits at Chicago’s famous Shedd Aquarium. The Shedd Aquarium contains more than 32,500 animals and 1,500 different species. There are several different exhibits at the aquarium, each with something unique to offer. From green sea turtles and moral eels in the Caribbean Reef exhibit, to beluga whales and pacific white-sided dolphins in the Abbott Oceanarium, to penguins and colorful sea stars in the Polar Play Zone—I’m not sure I could pick a favorite exhibit even if I wanted to! Whether I am wandering through the exhibits on my own or sitting down to enjoy an aquatic show, I always have a blast visiting the Shedd Aquarium! Also, with National Sea Otter Week just wrapping up, there were plenty of exhibits featuring our lovely sea otters!

The Peninsula Chicago

When I need a little relaxation in my life, a wonderful lunch and spa at the Peninsula Chicago is always number one on my list! The Peninsula Chicago is my absolute favorite places when I really want to pamper myself and have an amazing time. This hotel is five star and five diamond rated and is located right in the heart of the Magnificent Mile. Enjoy dinner at the fabulous Shanghai Terrace if you love amazing Shanghainese and Cantonese food, or at Pierrot Gourmet if you prefer a more casual street scene café. I found this lovely spot by using the site gogobot, which has extensive lists of Chicago hotels and restaurants alike. You may love the Peninsula Chicago so much that you never want to leave and see the rest of what Chicago has to offer!

Lou Malnati’s Deep Dish Pizzeria

You cannot visit Chicago without eating the food of the local Chicagoans—the famous Chicago deep dish pizza. One of the best places to get this amazing pizza is at Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria. There are several locations all over the Chicago area so no matter what part of Chicago you are visiting, the best Chicago pizza is never far away. Chicago deep dish pizza from Lou Malnati’s is nothing like the thin pizza you can get anywhere else. Lou Malnati’s pizza is made by hand from scratch with only the best and freshest ingredients. Their secret family recipe and commitment to quality will keep you coming back for more!

The next time you plan to take a vacation, be sure to consider Chicago for your perfect family vacation destination. Chicago is the perfect place for families who want to experience a little bit of everything good in life. Your trip to the Windy City is sure to be one you will never forget. While you may not move to Chicago to enjoy this city every day like I do, you are sure to enjoy every minute of your trip!

1 comment:

Heavenly Bodies said...

I was born and raised in Chicago I have been in the south for eight years now. While Chicago is an excellent city, this girl has decided she loves the country. However, I must admit I miss the museums, and have not been to one since I left, along with having everything at my finger tips. Oh and due to the diversity of Chicago there are foods there I have not been able to find anywhere else. Oh Hagen's Fish Market on Montrose love their smoked chubb, which they no longer carry.

Great post, great city so much to do.