Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Create a Salsa Garden AKA The Perfect Christmas Gift!

Who doesn't like Salsa?  There are so many variations of Salsa, mild to hot, mango to jalapeno and even green tomato salsa.  Creating a Salsa Garden is easy!

My first suggestion, Peat Pellets!  I don't care where you get them from but they make seed-starting "oh so easy."  Before you just go crazy and start planting all of the seeds it's important to decide which varieties you would like to include and how long each will take to mature.
Onions:
Not everyone likes onions in their salsa.  I do!  I prefer a red onion.  The Red Burgundy onion matures in approximately 100 days.  If you decide to grow this onion it should be planted first.  If you choose a bunching onion or a "green onion" you can wait on planting.  Bunching onion varieties take about 40 days to mature.

Tomatoes:
I prefer to use a smaller tomato for salsa like the Ace 55 or Roma.  Both varieties take approx 75-80 days to mature so they should be started one month after the onion (if you chose the red).  A larger option is a BeefsteakFor fancy salsa, try Emerald Green or Amana's Orange tomatoes.

Peppers:
For a mild salsa you can use Anaheim instead.  For a hot (or hotter) salsa I use Jalapenos.  For the crazy, burn your mouth for a week salsa, use Serrano Peppers or Habanero!  These pepper varieties also take 70-80 days to mature and should be planted at the same time as the tomatoes.

Cilantro planting should be staggered throughout the year.  By planting multiple cilantro plants it will allow you to harvest as you need it instead of all at once.  Plant Cilantro at least 30 days before the rest of the Salsa Garden plants mature.  I recommend succession planting Cilantro for a plentiful harvest.
I love growing Cilantro
Recap-
Onions: 100 or 40 days
Tomatoes: 75-80 days
Peppers: 70-80 days
Cilantro: 30 days

Fresh Salsa

Ingredients
5 large tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tomatillo, diced (optional)
salt to taste
1 jalapeno pepper, minced

Directions
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, tomatillo, and salt to taste. Mix well. Add 1/2 of the jalapeno pepper, and taste. If you desire your salsa with more of a kick, add the remaining 1/2 jalapeno. If you are satisfied with the salsa's heat, do not add the remaining jalapeno pepper. Cover the salsa, and chill until ready to serve. 

Mary's Salsa Pack is available @ Mary's Heirloom Seeds for only $18.
(Gift Wrap included if you ask)

Make wonderful homemade salsa fresh from the garden!
 One packet of each.  Includes:
   -Ace 55 Tomato
   -Jalapeno Pepper
   -Anaheim Pepper
   -Red Burgundy Onion
   -Cilantro


A great addition to Mary's Salsa Pack is the natural and Organic Soil Amendments.
I use Supreme Growers on my own veggies and I love it!  The difference in plant growth, flowering and crops has been fantastic.
4 varieties of Soil Amendments

Happy Planting! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Love this idea. I Love Salsa and Homemade Salsa is the best. I've been wanting to try gardening but I live in a duplex. So I think this would be the place to start. I believe most if not all these plants could be done in containers. I'm so excited. Thanks. Stopping by from the Blog Strut. <3 Kim

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

Great tips! I definitely need help in the planning part of gardening! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Lisa Lynn said...

Your salsa garden is a great idea!
Thanks for sharing with us on The HomeAcre Harvest Hop! Hope you'll join us again today!