Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Making Liquid Hand Soap

Here's another DIY recipe, this time for liquid soap.  I'm not making soap from scratch so this recipe is very simple.  All you need is:
a bar of soap (any soap)
a cheese grater
a large bowl

Normally I would use a bar of Ivory or clear glycerin but I'm out so I used Irish Spring.

Unwrap your bar of soap.  Grate entire bar of soap with the larger grate (like cheese) into the large bowl. Cover soap with water overnight.  Add more water if your soap has soaked up all the water.  Place the bowl with the soap in the microwave for 2 minutes.  Stir when finished.  If the soap hasn't fully dissolved, microwave for another minute.

There is no specific amount of water listed.  I added 2 jars full of water (48 ounces) and came out with a thick soap once it cooled down.  One jar will be used in a regular dispenser.  The other jar needs to be watered down for the foaming dispenser.  I'll end up with 3 jars of soap for the foam dispenser.

2 comments:

Rue said...

I made my liquid soap with Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Distilled Water and KOH

Cooked it for three days in a crock pot.

Your method is easier.

http://www.facebook.com/SeaSoapCompany

Rue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.