Sunday, December 22, 2013

2014 Planting Guide: USDA Plant Hardiness Map

In the next few days I'm going to share more planting info.  It is difficult to share state-specific planting info since it would take me over a month to compile and post all of the info.  So I've decided to make it simple and share by region.

The USDA Plant Hardiness map is a great place to start.





I'm sharing several variations...



Another great resource (and simpler map) is from Mother Earth News:

This is the map I have used in the past and it's fantastic.  It does not include Hawaii and Alaska which have completely different state-specific planting guidelines.  Hawaii is tropical and Alaska has a very short growing season.

This is the beginning of our 2014 Planting Guide for Mary's Heirloom Seeds
Like us on Facebook!
Sign up for our E-Newsletter



2 comments:

Libby said...

Thanks for sharing this info. I'm staying tuned because I'd love to start my first spring garden in 2014. :-)

farmkiti said...

Thank you so much for this info! I live at 6200', in Colorado Springs, and it looks like I'm zone 5. Now I know what to plant. I'm mostly into flowers, all I have is a cement back porch, so I just garden in containers. But I'd like to plant 2-3 perennials, so it helps to know what zone I'm in so I don't kill 'em! And it helps me know when to plant in the Spring, so I don't get an unexpected freeze and all my babies die. Although you never know in Colorado! But this info helps immensely. Thanks!