Thursday, February 21, 2013

Health benefits of Thyme

Do you cook with Thyme?  Do you grow it?  We love it!!!  Some of our favorite "cooking herbs" also have amazing properties for health.  Mother Nature provides all of the medicine we need if we just take the time to learn, grow and preserve.  

At the bottom of this post is a list of "healthy" herbs that I've shared over the years.  And, if you're looking for organic Thyme seeds, check out Mary's Heirloom Seeds.
Growing Thyme

Did you know that 2 teaspoons of Thyme contains 60% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin K?  It's true!  Not only is Thyme fragrant and delicious, it's good for you!

Thyme contains a powerful oil rich in Thymol, which is known to have antiseptic and anti-fungal properties.  Thyme also contains nutrients such as B-complex vitamins, beta carotene, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin E, vitamin C and folic acid.  Thyme also contains manganese, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium and selenium.

According to Nutrition and You: Thyme provides 0.35 mg of vitamin B-6 or pyridoxine; furnishing about 27% of daily recommended intake. Pyridoxine keeps up GABA (beneficial neurotransmitter in the brain) levels in the brain, which has stress buster function. Vitamin C helps the human body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals.  Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin and antioxidant that is required maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin and is also essential for vision. Consumption of natural foods rich in flavonoids like vitamin A and beta-carotene helps protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.

From what I have read, Thyme has no negative side effects and is entirely safe to use.  Score!
source

So how do you grow it?


Thyme seeds are tiny. I recommend sprinkling over damp soil and then adding a fine layer over your seeds.

Plant thyme seeds in early spring about 6-8 seeds per “hole”.  If planting in volume, mix sand with the seed to prevent overplanting.

Read about Companion Planting to get the best results in your herb and veggie garden.  Thyme deters cabbage worms!

Once your seedlings emerge, plant your Thyme no closer than 8 inches apart. Young plants should be set out in the garden in June, preferably in damp ground or just prior to rain.

More Beneficial Herbs:
Mugwort  *AMAZING herb for Women's Health*
Cayenne Pepper  *Not an herb but still good for you*

And the list continues to grow!!!  Stay tuned for more...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

So much information! Wow! I love to use herbs and seasonings when I cook and I tend to buy fresh, I've never really tried to grow them myself. I never realized how beneficial they were! I am impressed! I may try growing them now:) I found you through the Thursday blog hop and I'm following you now. Check me out when you have time :) www.feelingtheemptynest.blogspot.com

Fluster Buster said...

Great information! My summer project is to start an herb garden. I'm following you via GFC. I host Fluster Creative Muster Party on Wednesdays and I would love it if you would come by and party with us. Hope to see you there!

Hugs, Smiles, and Blessings,

Robin
Fluster Buster

mail4rosey said...

This looks like it would be okay for container planting, yes? We have a perfect spot to garden, but it's so big I'm a bit intimidated. I think I'm going to try container gardening first and move up if it's successful.

Unknown said...

I actually have a huge love affair with thyme. I grow French thyme and lemon thyme in several spots throughout my yard. My kids also eat a mixture of herbs called "zaatar" that you mix with olive oil. The main ingredient is thyme. The fragrance just takes me to another level. The only other fragrances in my yard that can compete with it are the fragrances of roses and jasmine.

Jamie @ Prepared to Eat said...

So would you say thyme heals all wounds? Sorry, couldn't resist. :) Do you recommend just using it more often in recipes or eating it straight to get the benefits?

Heavenly Bodies said...

Another great blog, pinned it, and can't wait to get my thyme seeds from you. Thanks for what you do.

Nancy said...

I love Thyme! It's always been one of my favorite herbs to look at and one of my favorite culinary herbs too. Thanks for this excellent post on all its health benefits as well...awesome!! :)

Sara said...

I may have to incorporate thyme into my food more often. Do you have favorite dishes to put it in?

Maureen Wyatt said...

This is terrific information and I'm pinning it! Thanks.

April said...

I love learning how natural herbs and plants are so healthy for us. I'm new to these things, so I appreciate this info. Thank you so much for sharing with Saturday Spotlight. Have a great week and come back soon!

Lisa Lynn said...

Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre! I can't wait to see what you share next time at...
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-5.html

I Gotta Try That said...

This is great to know because I love thyme. Thanks for the info!
Hugs,
Marcie @ I Gotta Try That

Unknown said...

Okay I really need to go out and harvest some thyme then-- we have two huge plants that I always forget to pick ( I have no idea why) but now I am motivated to go out and use it.

Thanks for sharing on our Healthy Tuesdays Blog Hop, I hope you will join us again next week.
Kerry from Country Living On A Hill

Amanda said...

Thyme is also excellent for coughs! I make tea out of mine and it calms a cough very quickly.