Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fall Planting

Gardening in South Florida has been an amazing experience.  At this moment it is 2:15pm and wunderground.com tells me it is 84 degrees outside and with the humidity it "feels like" 90!  And it's late October!!!  

This summer was very hard on my garden.  It was HOT!  For a few weeks we had NO rain and then it rained for an entire week.  

The morning temperature has been wonderful with a slight breeze and even after being outside for an hour after lunch I didn't feel like I was going to pass out.

For some strange reason I have been more plant-motivated this month.  Does that even make sense?

On Saturday I planted:
Table Queen Bush Squash
Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach
Detroit Dark Red Beets
5 Color Silverbeet Swiss Chard
And already I have little sprouting seeds!

I have run out of seedling pots (all recycled) so last night I had to purchase a few Jiffy Pots for the rest of my Fall planting.
This morning I planted:
Fine Verde Basil
Catnip
Dill Vierling
Echinacea Purpurea
Strawberries

But that's not all...Tomorrow I intend to plant more.  Soaking in little shot glasses on my kitchen table are Habanero and Pimiento Peppers, Brussels Sprouts and Little Gem Lettuce seeds.

Have I lost my mind?  Gone over the edge?  I'm not sure but I'll be really happy when I don't have to keep going to the store for salad stuff.  Even with the weekly trips to the farmer's market I find myself running to the grocery store for items I have run out of or forgot to pick up on Sunday.

Are you planning a Fall Garden?  Have you already started?

No comments: