Tuesday, October 4, 2011


The cucumbers have been defeated!  I didn't do a very good job of preventing an aphid infestation and they came by the thousands.  They set up camp and went to work on the Cucumbers.  Bummer!  I was really looking forward to more pickles!

Over the weekend I made a stronger batch of garlic spray.  Once it was ready I went to work fight off the little devils.  I'll check out the garden this morning, maybe spray one last time and then wait.  The garlic spray consists of oil, garlic cloves and water and it takes 24 hours per batch.  I add the liquid to a spray bottle and go to work.  I didn't want to use this method because it can harm other soft bodied insects such as lady bugs but I had no choice.

The upside to removing the cucumbers is that I have a few other plants waiting to be planted.  I'll be adding compost, manure and a bit of organic fertilizer to the bare side of the garden and in they go.

1 comment:

Denise said...

The little beasts!!!