Sunday, November 30, 2014

Take A Walk

I used to walk every Saturday and Sunday with my friend and walking partner until I started working weekends at the farmers market. 
Picture taken last week
Now that I'm not working the local farmer's market 
and I've opened my own Seed Shop I have started walking again!

Picture taken this morning
Walking the beach early in the morning when the sun is rising is an amazing way to start the day.  There are so many benefits to walking, especially in the morning.  Here are a few:

Reduce your Health Risk.  From Livestrong, "The metabolic syndrome is a constellation of risk factors that increase the possibility of developing cardiovascular disease. These include high blood pressure, glucose intolerance, low levels of HDL cholesterol, high levels of triglycerides, and insulin resistance. Andreas Katsiaras, Ph.D., states that even those who engage in as little as three hours a week of aerobic exercise such as walking are 50 percent less likely to be diagnosed with the metabolic syndrome that those who remain sedentary.
Funny sign outside a local establishment
Walking burns calories so if you're looking to lose weight, walking is a great start.

Stress Reduction.  From Good Relaxation, "Morning walks also give you the added time to meditate and reduce stress. Morning is generally quiet and calming and your brain is functioning at a higher level. Better decisions can be made and a start to your working day is enhanced."
Amazing stress-relief

It's Easy.  Walking does not require any extra equipment other than a good pair of shoes.  No membership, weight machines or even "hip" exercise outfits necessary.

It's Free.  I choose to get in my car and drive 4 minutes to the beach and then pay $1-$2 to park.  I like the beach because I get amazing sea air and the beauty of the sand, waves and broadwalk.  I could easily walk around my neighborhood and it would be free.

That's 5 great reasons to get walking.
I'm off to get ready for the day.  What are you up to?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had this to look at when walking each day!! Last year I wanted to start running and made it until it was 20 degrees and snowing before I threw the towel in for the winter. :)

Unknown said...

All good reasons to walk! I think if I had a lovely view like in your pictures it would be easy to go for a walk! Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

I wish I could get out and walk. Me and my puppy would love it, but it's 26 degrees here today. Your pictures of the morning beach look wonderful and inspiring. Thanks for linking up on Merry Monday!

Barb said...

Thank you for posting on Motivation Monday!

JES said...

Thanks for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! We have been visiting with family this month and I have been slack. This post has kick-started me back to my walking routine. Thank you!!! :)