Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Veggie Gardening in the Central / Midwest US

I don't live in the Central and Midwest so I can only share with you what I have read.  I use Mother Earth News as a guide, not as the one and only reference for my garden.  Mother Earth News has been around since the 1970s.  There is so much useful gardening, homesteading and DIY info both online and inside the magazine.

The map above shows quite a few states included in the Central and Midwest region.  According to Mother Earth News, the top 10 crops for the Midwest are:
Slicing Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Onions, Snap Beans, Carrots, Garlic, Paste Tomatoes, Peas and Lettuce.

Also according to Mother Earth News, seed varieties to plant in February (mostly indoors) are:
Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Celery, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Onions, Radiccio, Spinach and HERBS!

I understand that it's still cold in many parts of the Central and Midwest US during January and February but this should be a great place to start.

My advice to anyone getting started:
-Plant ONLY Heirloom Seeds.  Find out why...
-Plant Basil!!!  It's easy.
-More easy varieties are: lettuce, beets, radish, turnips and borage.

-Try Peat Pellets for seed-starting made easy.
-Plant more seeds than you think you'll need.  Stuff happens!
-Take notes or keep a log of what works, what didn't work, questions and comments.  Or blog about it!


If you are looking for additional help for natural or organic pest control check out "Natural and Organic Pest Control." I use Neem Oil for powdery mildew when I just can't get rid of it any other way.
Consider Companion Planting for natural pest control and healthy veggies.


Helpful links:








Would you like more gardening info specific to your area?
Let me know!
Veggie Gardening in the Southern US (Gulf Coast) 
Veggie Gardening in the Southwest US

Veggie Gardening in the Southern Interior
Veggie Gardening in the Mid-Atlantic Coast

Linking up HERE!

6 comments:

Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

Thanks for putting all this info together. I'm bookmarking it for our new garden we'll be doing this coming spring.

Unknown said...

Great information for gardeners!Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
Bethany @ Whistle and Ivy

Mind Body and Sole said...

February is the perfect time to start your garden seeds INDOORS! :) I'm thinking about gardening too even though we're under a couple feet of snow right now! Thank you for sharing your post on Wildcrafting Wednesday! :)

Katherines Corner said...

Thank you for sharing at the hop xo

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

I do live in the Midwest and am new to gardening, so I pinned this!

The Thriftiness Miss said...

This is a great post. As a midwest girl myself, I've planted some of those veggies and had terrific turnouts. Thanks for all the great helpful links too!