Thursday, February 9, 2012

Getting Started...Soil

At the moment I have veggies growing in containers as well as a semi-raised bed garden.  I have tried to replicate my Gran's recipe for soil and amendments, plus my own additions.  I remember her "list" for my uncle every year.  She had the BEST tomatoes I have ever tasted.

I use a mix of several items from the garden center and home.  Here’s my recipe:

4  large bags organic garden or potting soil
1 small bag Perlite (optional)
1 small bag Peat Moss or Coconut Coir (improves drainage) 

1 cup organic bone meal (high in phosphorus)
1/2 cup blood meal (high in Nitrogen)

Finely crushed eggshells (calcium)
Compost: 1 large bag store bought OR equivalent homemade


For pest control I use:
Spray bottle
Organic Neem Oil (for insects and diseases)


Next weekend might be moving day for quite a few seedlings.  Plenty going on in the garden lately!

Happy Planting!

If you are interested in posting what you're doing in the garden, what works for you or just a few pictures, please email   mari_backtonature@yahoo.com

No comments: