Monday, June 17, 2013

Chamomile and Pregnancy

Let me start by saying...No Mom, I'm NOT pregnant.

Last week I had a question come from Mary's Basics/Doc's Herbal Tea.  They were looking into using Chamomile during pregnancy.
Round and round the internet they came across my post about the
Health Benefits of Chamomile (a REALLY good read BTW) and
DIY Chamomile Tincture.
Organic Whole Flower Chamomile
The question was: 
"I was just wandering why you mention not using it in pregnancy?"

Here's my disclaimer from the post 
" Chamomile is contraindicated during pregnancy. Not as a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or following any treatment suggested by anyone on this site. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs or diagnose your particular medical history."

Chamomile during pregnancy is tricky.  Herbal medicine can be tricky since no one person is the same.  Each person might react differently  to the same herbal remedy.  If you scour the internet you'll find very valid points for not using chamomile and personal stories of using the herb during pregnancy.
DIY Chamomile Tincture Kit
Here are a few links with why you should not take Chamomile while pregnant:
WebMD

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/chamomile-tea-may-not-be-safe-during-pregnancy/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/435177-is-chamomile-tea-safe-during-early-pregnancy/


On the other hand, there are plenty of people who say that Chamomile has helped them:

Babycenter 
Parenting

The thing is, I'm not pregnant and I've never been pregnant.  I do know that it is important to discuss herbs, supplements and medications with your qualified healthcare provider.  
This doesn't necessarily mean a medical doctor.  Many people go to herbalists, Osteopath and Chiropractors instead of MDs.  I do!  

The bottom line...If you're not sure, Ask a professional!  And by professional I do NOT mean a forum, your next door neighbor or someone who thinks "they know so much about so many things that they're 'practically' a professional."  We all know one of those people.
Ready to brew some Chamomile tea!
Stop by tomorrow for Tuesdays with a Twist!
 

5 comments:

Mamal Diane said...

Great point! I always pick my Chiropractor's brain for all my health questions, lucky for me he's my boss and good friend :) Visiting from The Gathering Spot :)

Quirky Cottage said...

Thanks for expressing that information so well!! Herbs are tricky during pregnancy, and I believe it is wise to err on the side of caution, so as not to harm our dear little ones. My go-to person during pregnancy was my fabulous, very knowledgeable, midwife.

Becca said...

I'm so thankful for my chiropractor. I know I could ask questions like this and he'd give helpful answers. Much better than my experience with "regular" doctors. :)

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

Excellent post! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Isabella said...

I have been trying for the past 5 years to get pregnant and yet no result, until i met this wonderful testimony on on the net how someone use Dr ogbidi's roots and herbs product and she got pregnant, i ordered it too just to try because i have tried so many things with no result, surprisingly i got pregnant just 1 month and 1 week after using the product what a miracle working God. I must say a very big thanks to Dr.ogbidi for his help. Am here to tell the world about this wonderful man God use to restore my womb. You can also contact him via: Email ogbidihomeofsolution1@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348026905065.