Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mary's Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies

This is one of my favorite recipes.  The original recipe came from the Quaker Oats container.  My mom made the original recipe quite often when we were kids.  I put my own healthy spin on the original.  I have substituted apple sauce for butter and cut back on the sugar.  In addition, I use almond slivers and/or coconut flakes.

Mary's Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies
makes about 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup organic apple sauce
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 cups Quaker Oats (old-fashion, uncooked)
1 1/4 cup raisins
*omitted* 1/2 cup granulated sugar

Extras:  1/4 cup almond slivers and/or 1/4 cup coconut flakes

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 F.  Beat together apples sauce and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.

Add combined flour, baking soda and cinnamon.  Mix well.  Stir in oats and raisins (and almond slivers/coconut flakes).  Mix well.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased (I use Pam) cookie sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet if you can wait that long.  Remove to wire rack if there are any left.

No comments: