Friday, August 17, 2012

A Garden for the Bees! Aloha Blog Hop!

Good morning and Happy Friday!  I decided to add a few more flower varieties to my garden in honor of National Honeybee Awareness Day.  You can read about simple ways to get involved here.  I'm also planning on purchasing a bit of local honey on Saturday at the farmer's market.

I prefer to plant everything from seed.  To get started I use Peat Pellets.  They are easy to use and virtually mess free 
(LOVE mess free).
Place peat pellets in a tray. Add warm water and they expand!
Once they have completely expanded I use a toothpick to make a little hole for the seeds.  
  Drop a seed in the hole and cover.  I use peat pellets for most of the seeds I germinate.  I planted Zinnias, Cosmos, Calendula and Lavender.

I planted marigolds a few weeks ago and they are ready to be transplanted into the garden.
**There is still time to enter Mary's Basics lip balm giveaway!  ALL of our lip balms use a vegan (veggie-base) wax (not beeswax) so they are bee-friendly** 

What are you doing this weekend?
I'm joining to Aloha Blog Hop again!

This is all about sharing the Aloha spirit with other bloggers out there and helping each other to gain some exposure and find some awesome blogs to read!!!  You don't have to be from Hawai'i to participate!  In fact, we encourage and welcome people from all over the world to join us on this Aloha Friday Blog hop!
  • Follow Jean via Google Friend ConnectGoogle+FacebookTwitterNetworked BlogsPinterestTumblrLinky Followers, and Bloglovin!  
  • Link up your blog name and URL with our Linky below.  You can do a separate entry for your blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Linky.  We want everyone to get lots of follows and some sugar!! 
  • Grab our Aloha Friday button and include it in a post about the event on your blog and in your sidebar (if you want) to show some love and let everyone know that you participate in the weekly blog hop!
  • Go to as many blogs on the Linky as you want and FOLLOW them!!  Be sure to tell them that you are from Aloha Friday Blog Hop!!! 
  • If someone is nice enough to follow you, why not show them some Aloha and some sugar and Follow back any followers you have gained from the Aloha Friday Blog Hop!

3 comments:

Ladies Holiday said...

how about one for hummingbirds? i hear they've been affected by something or other too.

we'd love for you to link up to our new weekly blog hop- photo friday- any of your fav. pictures from any posts are welcome!

Becky said...

Never heard of honeybee awareness day before. Thanks for sharing! So cool to see that you're making a garden for the bees.

Mary Smith said...

Thank you! I'll have to look into the hummingbirds.

Becky, I hadn't heard about honeyber issues until I started this blog about 3 years ago. When I learned about monsanto, gmo crops and their ties to bigtime lobbyist and government officials it made me sick. The future if our food depends on the bees.