Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Building a Raised Bed Garden with Garden In Minutes

I mentions yesterday that I received a raised bed kit from Garden In Minutes.  Today I'm here to say...WOOHOOOO!!!  This has been once of the simplest garden projects so far.  Sure, I made it a bit difficult for myself in the beginning (before the kit arrived) but now it's smooth sailing!

First, I let on large section of my garden get completely over taken by weeds.  Yes, I'm admitting complete neglect.  I could have just covered over the weeds with cardboard or solarized.  Not me.  Apparently I like hard work.

I spent an entire morning pulling weeds from the root.  Seriously, that was totally unnecessary!
Here's the before:

And here's the after:

I felt like I had really accomplished something AND I had a great workout.  
About Garden in Minutes,
"Some of the unique qualities of our raised beds are that they are all made in USA, they are made using cedar which is naturally rot resistant, and we are unique in the fact that we seal our boards using an Eco-friendly soy based wood sealer :)
The Garden Grid watering system gives gardeners equal planting sections and waters plants at their base where they need it most, which also saves plants from damage caused by normal sprinklers."


Now for the good stuff  I received a Garden In Minutes 4X4 Raised Garden Kit

  • (1) 4×4 Garden Grid™ Watering System
  • (1) Cedar Raised Garden Bed - Assembled size: 4ft x 4ft x 8in. Finished in an Eco-Friendly Soy based wood sealer.
  • (1) Manual Hose Timer - allows you to set your water to run for a desired time and shut off automatically.
  • (1) Single Water Flow Valve - allows you to adjust water flow at your Garden Grid™ from a drip to a full stream.
**Each kit also contains a packet of heirloom, Non-GMO seeds from Mary's Heirloom Seeds** 
Raised Beds are made from 1-3/4 inch thick Cedar boards, for strong construction that won’t bow under the weight of your soil.
Rather than share in pictures we made a video!!!



You can get your own raised bed, square foot garden at www.gardeninminutes.com
There are so many options to choose from and 
as you can see they're EASY to assemble!



Soil capacity of the 4X4 Raised Bed is approximately 12 cu. ft (not included).
Here's what I used:
3 buckets of organic homemade compost
layer of organic soil
1 cup of Organic All-In-One Plant Nutrients
1/3 cup Organic Nitrogen
Layer of organic potting soil
Halfway through filling I added a layer of Organic Plant Nutrients
 Once the raised bed is full of organic soil it's time to add the Garden Grid™ Watering System


There are a few veggie varieties that I chose to transplant.  One of them is the Table Queen Acorn Squash.  Here's the Garden Grid™ Watering System in action water my tiny seedling.

Tomorrow I'll share what varieties I decided to direct sow and which I transplanted.  I LOVE growing!  If you have additional questions please feel free to ask.

*I received a Raised Garden Kit for review.  All opinions are my own*


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Heirloom-Seeds/229833070442449

Sign up for our E-Newsletter



9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be pinning this for next spring because I would like to add to my raised bed gardens, and this looks better than the ones I purchased as kits. Thanks for sharing!

SewSweetVIntage said...

You make it look so easy! Seeing a lot of these in my neighborhood! Pinned

Marla said...

Great infornation Mary, there are so many options these days to make gardening easier and less time consuming. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

This is such a wonderful ideas for gardens! I would love for you to share a project on my Meet Up Monday Blog Party!

http://jennymaire.blogspot.com/

Heavenly Bodies said...

We have been told we are going to have to do raised beds because our land is not well drained. I love that irrigation system, going to have to visit their site when I have some time.

Nicole @ OrWhateverYouDo said...

I love this! That watering system is genius. Thanks for sharing with the Merry Monday LInky Party!

Adorned From Above said...

Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Link Party.
Have a great week.
Debi @ Adorned From Above

KC the Kitchen Chopper said...

One of these days I'm going to put in a raised garden bed. I have a big Avocado tree in the backyard that blocks the sun. (it doesn't provide much fruit at all). Once we prune it back I may have the perfect area. Loved this blog. Thanks for sharing at #theWeekendSocial. http://wwww.theKitchenChopper.com

Bert Aguilar said...

I always pull weeds up from the root. I don't know if covering with cardboard works as well. In fact, when talking to other people who like to grow their own vegetables or fruit, they tend to pull weeds up as well. Maybe most people just think that method works better. The kit should help you to save time and money.

Bert Aguilar @ Rain Fill Tanks