Thursday, June 12, 2014

Benefits of Infused Water

I drink Lemon Water almost every morning. Infused water is easy and inexpensive but is it healthy?  Let's find out!

First, I'd like to compare store bought Vitamin Water to my own homemade Organic Lemon Water

Multi-V Lemonade
1 bottle of Vitamin water is actually 2.5 servings!!! That means if you drink the entire bottle, you're consuming 32.5 grams of sugar and 125 calories.  Yes, there is a "vitamin" content to this drink but the sugar content (for me) makes this drink a big no-no!  And...who knows where those "vitamins" came from!
Per serving:
Vitamin A 20%
Vitamin C 40%
Calcium 4%

Homemade Lemon Water
I use the juice of 1 lemon per Quart of water.
1 lemon contains 20 calories and about 2 grams of naturally occurring sugar.  Lemons are a powerhouse of naturally occurring vitamins.  REAL vitamins!
Vitamin C 90%
Calcium 4%
Vitamin B6 4%
Magnesium 2%
Thiamin 2%
Vitamin E, Riboflavin, Niacin and Phosphorus 1%

% of the daily recommended amount.

The above facts should be enough to convince you that homemade is SO MUCH better (and cheaper)...But there's more!

Why do I start the day with infused water?
Drinking water in the morning gives you energy.  Adding real fruits or herbs can increase that energy.
Drinking water in the morning can help you lose weight.
Hydration! During the night we lose hydration and it's important to replenish
SKIN!  Since Skin is the largest organ of the body and humans are made up of approx 60% water it is safe to say water is vital to healthy skin.
Preparing jars for Basil Lemon infused water
Drinking Infused water helps me drink more water.  There are a number of healthy, low-calorie, low-sugar recipes to chose from.  My favorites are just plain lemon and Basil Lemonade (without the added sugar).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My daughter started making infused water this summer. We drink a lot of water and I don't like the idea of adding some of the powdered flavorings. We started with lemon and now she's making lemon/strawberry. When our herbs get established we may try adding them, too! Thank you for a great post. -Jen from Hens in the Yard-

KC the Kitchen Chopper said...

I with you on the lemon water. Everyone should be drinking it! thanks for sharing on #theWeekendSocial. Please come visit again next Thursday starting at 9:00 PM EST. I'm off to pin your link!

Deborah Davis said...

Hi Mary,
I begin each day with a glass of lemon-infused water for all of the great reasons you shared and more! It is so much healthier than sugary drinks. I am so glad you shared the benefits of infused water at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop! I appreciate it!