Sunday, June 25, 2017

My Keto Journey

Hello and welcome back!  I had started to share this info on an old blog but decided I'm going to close it and continue sharing here.  Before we get started I have a few important disclaimers.
I'll use this picture for a side-by side comparison in the future.  This is one of our GIANT turnips I grew

First, I am not a doctor or healthcare provider and I am not offering medical advice.  If you have health-related concerns, please seek medical attention.

Next, I will NEVER try to sell you pills, potions or "magic cures" for keto or ketones.  That stuff is not necessary nor is it cost effectinve.

Lastly, the only affiliate or sales related links I will include are for Mary's Heirloom Seeds.  I am Mary @ Mary's Heirloom Seeds and we grow most of our own organic veggies here on our homestead/farm.  We grow from the same seed stock that we offer our customers.  I find that homegrown organic food is musk tastier and less expensive than store bought.  We choose to grow "beyond organic" meaning we go (grow) above and beyond organic standards.

Now for the FUN stuff!

Have you ever heard of the Ketogenic way of eating or the ketogenic diet?  I stay away from the word "diet" because for us, it's a healthier way of eating.  If you haven't already heard about it or you've heard misinformation that it's just "meat and butter" then I encourage you to keep reading.

From The Ketogenic Diet 101

The ketogenic diet (often termed keto) is a very low-carb, high-fat diet that shares many similarities with the Atkins and low-carb diets.
It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake, and replacing it with fat. The reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis.
When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain (6, 7).
Ketogenic diets can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, has numerous health benefits (6, 8, 9, 10, 11).


There's a lot more to it than that but that's the basic explanation. Included in the explanation above are numerous links to studies and explanations to back up their statements.

If you read my last article, Cutting out the Crap, you know that I have cut out sugar completely.  It was not an easy task but I did it and I'm super proud of myself.  Sugar acts as a drug and is addicting.

Here's a little more from The Ketogenic Diet 101

The ketogenic diet actually originated as a tool for treating neurological diseases, such as epilepsy.
Studies have now shown that the diet can have benefits for a wide variety of different health conditions:
  • Heart disease: The ketogenic diet can improve risk factors like body fat, HDL levels, blood pressure and blood sugar (32, 33).
  • Cancer: The diet is currently being used to treat several types of cancer and slow tumor growth (4, 34, 35, 36).
  • Alzheimer’s disease: The diet may reduce symptoms of Alzheimer’s and slow down the disease’s progression (5, 37, 38).
  • Epilepsy: Research has shown that the ketogenic diet can cause massive reductions in seizures in epileptic children (3).
  • Parkinson’s disease: One study found that the diet helped improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease (39).
  • Polycystic ovary syndrome: The ketogenic diet can help reduce insulin levels, which may play a key role in polycystic ovary syndrome (40).
  • Brain injuries: One animal study found that the diet can reduce concussions and aid recovery after brain injury (41).
  • Acne: Lower insulin levels and eating less sugar or processed foods may help improve acne (42).
However, keep in mind that research into many of these areas is far from conclusive.


If you think that Keto might be a good fit for you, I suggest doing a bit of research.  Don't believe the hype that fat is bad for you or that the body needs carbs to survive.  Those bits of misinformation have been circling for a very long time and probably from the very industries that supply them.

The SUGAR industry for example, as I mentioned in Cutting out the Crap, was recently exposed for paying scientists to vilify fat instead of sugar.

Have you ever stopped to read the ingredients lists on some of those "low-fat" or "non-fat" foods?  They are usually FULL of sugar.

This is just the beginning.  Keep an open mind and enjoy the ride.  I have quite a few delicious recipes coming soon.  I will also post my stats as I continue on this Keto Journey