Friday, June 23, 2017

Cutting Out The Crap

I've been debating sharing this info on my blog for a few days.  I originally posted this at Mary's Kitchen but I have since decided to close that blog.  I have a lot going on with Mary's Heirloom seeds and our adventures! We're making big changes here and we hope you follow along.   This is going to be one of those no-nonsense kinda posts
Amelia here is all business.  No nonsense!

If you've followed my blog in the last few years you've seen a few junk food posts.  I'm being real here.  I am fully aware that I have encouraged sugary, carb-filled recipes here all because they were organic.

Having done a bit more research into what sugar does to your body, I've made quite a few changes.  There will be no more junk food posts of any kind!

If you're eating organic for health reasons, Just going organic isn't enough

When I read how the Sugar Industry was paying scientist to blame fat instead of sugar, I was really interested in making changes.

Here's another source,
50 Years Ago, Sugar Industry Quietly Paid Scientists to Point Blame at Fat

For the last two and a half months, I weened myself off of sugar, bread, pasta, rice and other junk carbs.  I'm going to share a bit of beginner advice from a friend:
"If eating this way seems confusing or overwhelming start with this. Easiest thing to do is just to stop eating refined carbohydrates and vegetables that grow underground. No fruit for now, it's sugar too. So if you cut out your sugar and bread and pasta and rice and potatoes that's a great start. Cook and eat a lot of healthy fats like olive oil, avocado oil, butter, things that you've always been told are scary. Drink lots of fluid's and make sure you aren't afraid of sodium. You can do this and if you just started with this you would be doing 99% better than you're currently doing"

I can FEEL the difference both physically and mentally.
-I'm not as tired after a long day (over 12 hours of working).
-I'm not as cranky when I wake up or when I'm hungry.
-I don't feel hungry all the time
-My clothes are much looser and I've lost a few pounds

Best of all, I'm not having frequent/daily headaches.  THIS is the most important benefit since I have had headaches for years.

I'll leave you with a few studies and articles to give you a little something to ponder.

SCIENCE:

Evidence for Sugar Addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects or intermittent, excessive sugar intake

The Relationship of Sugar to population-level diabetes prevalence: An econometric analysis of repeated cross-sectional data

Insulin and Cancer

Insulin Resistance and Cancer Risk: An Overview of the Pathogenetic Mechanisms

"A low-fat diet (≤30% of total calories) is still considered by many physicians to be a healthy choice for both primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) (1). An unintended consequence of emphasizing low-fat diets may have been to promote unrestricted carbohydrate intake, which reduces high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and raises triglyceride levels, exacerbating the metabolic manifestations of the insulin resistance syndrome, also known as the metabolic syndrome (2,3)."
The effects of Diet on Inflammation: Emphasis on the Metabolic Syndrome


PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

How Giving Up Refined Sugar Changed My Brain

7 Things that Happen when You Stop Eating Sugar


EYE OPENING

Sugar Breakdown

10 Surprising Foods that List Sugar as the first Ingredient

5 "Healthy" Yogurts with More Sugar Than a Doughnut

1 comment:

Michele Morin said...

Thanks for this wisdom. I know that when I'm eating well, I feel better. Pretty simple equation, but it does take discipline, for sure.