Friday, February 19, 2016

DIY Tomato Cages

It's a never-ending adventure here on the homestead and at Mary's Heirloom Seeds.  We are constantly working to share education, DIY info while providing tip-top customer service and AMAZING seeds!  This is an older blog post from Back to the Basics that we decided to re-vamp and share with you.  We love EASY DIY projects!

Materials
To get started, you'll need:
1- 50 foot root of fencing material or chicken wire
1 pack of electrical ties (5-8 per tomato cage)
wire cutters
measuring tape

I started with a 50 foot roll of fencing material then cut 5 foot long pieces to make cages 18 inches in diameter.  Instead of bending the ends to make hooks to hold them together I used electrical ties.  When I am done using the cages I can simply cut the electrical ties (I call them zip ties) and store the cages easier.
I snipped the ends off when I was finished.


Thanks to Doc who is super handy, no one was seriously injured during this process. 

Beautiful ROMA TOMATOES growing with our tomato cages

We used these cages in Florida and they were very easy to break down (snip the electrical ties) and move to our next homestead.

*UPDATE* We have been using these same cages for over 5 years and they still work great

 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Heirloom-Seeds/229833070442449

Sign up for our E-Newsletter



No comments: