Thursday, November 13, 2014

There's so much Going On...

I don't often share "random" posts here at Back to the Basics.  Sometimes, ya just gotta SHARE!

This month I have found myself scrambling to complete projects just about every day.  Let me back up a bit...
In August 2013 I decided to open a booth for Mary's Heirloom Seeds at a local farmer's market.  

It was a HUGE step since I work Monday thru Friday (at a "real job") and so far had only sold heirloom seeds on my website.  So I took this first huge step...and it was AMAZING!  I had such a great time and I met so many people.  The farmer's market offers a very unique opportunity for a local, heirloom seed market.
Homegrown Chocolate Habanero Peppers
But...you knew this was coming right...It meant working 7 days a week!  

Except for 1 month (and 5 days), I worked 7 days a week for the last 14 months.

Me in my farmer's market booth
I. Was. Tired!

The last week of October (3 weeks ago) I decided I had had enough.  It was time to open up my very own seed shop.  This meant no more 7 days a week but it also meant a big investment.  It also means working more hours in the beginning to get set up.  We took the risk!

What started as a simple website, a small garden plot and 20 heirloom, Non-GMO seed varieties has grown into something so amazing and unique! 
Now, Mary's Heirloom Seeds is a "real" brick-and-mortar store with online shopping still available.  I am so thankful that our little seed business has grown into an educational opportunity for our local and global community of foodies, non-GMO enthusiasts/activists and gardeners both young and old.

This week I'm adding new seed varieties to our 2015 seed stock. We now offer over 180 varieties of heirloom, Non-GMO seeds.  I'm also teaching a free workshop on growing seeds, organic growing as well as Organic Sprouts.

We're also adding something very special to our shop but we haven't made anything "official" yet.  If you sign up for our e-newsletter you'll get the latest news as soon as it's available.

Seriously, there are so many exciting things in the works I'm having a hard time not blurting everything out.  Patience. 

Small business Saturday happens every year.  
This year it's Saturday, November 29th - a day to celebrate and support small businesses and all they do for their communities.
Please join Mary's Heirloom Seeds and organizations across the country in supporting your local small business by shopping at a small business. 


You may have seen this meme around facebook.  As a small business owner I can tell you that shopping "small" makes a huge difference!  Shopping small makes dreams come true.  It has made our dreams come true!

Thanks for stopping by my little spot on the WWW...Stay tuned for more organic gardening and health related topics.  If you have questions or suggestions please feel free to ask. 


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Heirloom-Seeds/229833070442449

Sign up for our E-Newsletter



8 comments:

Ashley @ www.growpraybuild.com said...

So cool! I'll definitely keep you in mind when it comes to start ordering seeds for my garden (which I usually do right after the holidays). I signed up for a newsletter so that I can be updated when things become available. Best wishes on your store!

Lady of the Woods said...

I just spoke with you Mary, and I am very excited to be coming out there to the class and to get every flowering seed I can and the veggies we love to eat! Thank you for existing here in Hollywood!

Unknown said...

We were very disappointed to hear that Mary's Heirloom Seems was leaving the market, Until we heard that she was opening up her own store. That is what we love to hear. Here at the Yellow Green Market we want to be a entrepreneurial proving ground, a springboard to any real food business to get into business. We want greater access for South Florida to healthy natural products and Heirloom Seeds certainly fit our objectives. Congratulations Mary! We wish you further success

Nancy A at obloggernewbie said...

So happy for you Mary. You do such a tremendous job providing information, enthusiasm, and know-how about organic non-gmo seeds, gardening tips, and set a fine example of how a tiny seed of an idea can blossom into a fantastic business. :) and hugs, Nancy Andres, Health & Lifestyle Writer, Author of Colors of Joy: A Woman's Guide for Self-Discovery, Balance, and Bliss.

Gentle Joy said...

So glad for you! I hope it is a very good experience. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Mary! We were wondering where you were. Glad to hear you've moved on to an even bigger venue. :)

Melissa said...

Congratulations on opening your own shop! I think there are so many of us Mon-Friday/DoingWhatWeLove on the weekends, its super exciting to see when one takes the leap and follows her dream! I am proud of you...and a little jealous :)

Even better, I love what you're doing! We are trying to move away from chemicals, dyes, preservatives, poison. I see an order coming your way :)

JES said...

What a neat business endeavor to share the gift of healthy foods with others! May you be successful in your new venture!

Also, Thank you for taking the time to link up with the Art of Home-Making Mondays!