Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Planning your Fall Garden

I know...Fall already?  Summer just started!  Each month I put together a gardening newsletter for Mary's Heirloom Seeds.  If you'd like to get on the list you can send me an email at mari_backtonature(AT)yahoo.com or you can use the Contact Page at Mary's Heirloom Seeds.

The newsletter for July is about planning your Fall Garden so I thought I'd share all of the info here as well.
Happy Planting!

While it may be just the beginning of summer, now is the time to start thinking about your Fall Garden.

If you don't start thinking about it now, the time to plant those seeds for a fall crop will have passed.  Because climate zones can be different in each region, it is important to know what and when to plant each seed variety.

Below are a few suggestions on what to plant during August and September from Mother Earth News.  For more details just ask! 

Peat Pellets
Central Midwest
Arugula,  Beets
Carrots,  Chard
Lettuce,  Radish
Spinach  and  Turnips

Gulf Coast Region  (includes all of Florida)
Beans,  Cabbage
Corn,  Eggplant
Leeks,  Peppers
Pumpkins,  Winter Squash
and Tomatoes

Small Sugar Pumpkin
Mid-Atlantic  (East Coast)
Beets,  Carrots
Cilantro,  Lettuce
Radishes,  Spinach
and Turnips

Pacific Northwest 
Arugula, Beets, Carrots, Lettuce,
Radishes, Spinach and Turnips 
Extra Dwarf Pak Choy Cabbage
Southwest  (West Coast)
Beets,  Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage,  Carrots
Cauliflower,  Chard
Corn,  Cucumber
Leeks,  Lettuce
Radishes,  Spinach
Summer Squash and Turnips

Bulgarian Giant Leeks
Southern Interior  
(Central Texas to the East Coast)
 Beans, Beets, Broccoli,
Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots,
Cauliflower, Chard, Cucumber,  
Lettuce, Radishes, Spinach,
Summer Squash and Turnips

North Central and Rockies
Arugula, Beets, Lettuce, 
Radishes, Spinach and Turnips
Several of the seed varieties list above will be on sale until July 26th at midnight.  Select seed varieties have been marked down 15-25% off.   If you have further gardening questions feel free to ask or stop by Back to the Basics!

Sincerely,                                                                

27 comments:

Michelle@ Simplifiy, Live, Love said...

Thanks for the info! I'm knee deep in my garden in Eastern Iowa right now. Still planting summer stuff, it seems. :-) I just planted a second round of lettuce, but I think it's too hot to come up right now.

Simply Tasheena said...

This is a very informative post, thanks for sharing.

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mary Smith said...

Thank you Michelle and Mrs. Delightful for stopping by. Once it cools down just a bit I'll be back in the garden myself.

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

Thanks for the info! One of these days I'll have a backyard where I can actually plant a garden; I can't wait! Thanks so much for linking this up to The Fun In Functional!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Thank you so much for posting this information. I just jotted down a list of things to plant based on Souther Interior and Gulf Coast... I live right on the cusp of both of these zones...in east Texas.
The weather from the coast effects us, even though we are about 1 hr south of Dallas...
I just found out,yesterday (while looking for our elevation level) that in fact, we have about 254 growing days out of the year!

I'm new at gardening--we've been growing our own veggies for the past two years (three seasons of growing)...I can get so much more from garden with these list of veggies!

I'm going to try Corn in the Fall!
thanks again...
came in via FFBH...at dandelion house,
Pat

Libby said...

This is a great post. I live in the Southern Interior and have never had a fall garden. Perhaps this year is the time to start something new. :-)

ShirleyRunner said...

Stopping by from blissful and domestic link party. This is great information thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower

Shawn said...

This is very informative--thank you! I'm just getting into gardening and I find it very rewarding.

I'm newly following from the Aloha Friday Blog Hop. Hope you can follow back :). Have a great weekend.

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Thanks for the reminder! I live in the desert, and it's time to switch to a new batch of plants any day! I'm going to plant corn with pole beans around each stalk. Wish me luck! (I've never tried it before.)

I'm hosting my first linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea or anything else you'd like to share.

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Thanks so much for linking up at One Creative Weekend!

Unknown said...

I never thought about fall garden in July but oh my gosh you are so right, I have been missing out on something:( I am planning as we speak. Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed blog hopping today. I have joined your site and hope you visit and join mine. Thank you so much, Katie msqueenfashionista.com

Unknown said...

Thanks Mary, we are about to get started with our garden so this information has come in handy. I also wanted to let you know that I awarded you the Liebster blog award. You can check it out here: http://mylifesatreasure.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-blog-award.html

Mary Smith said...

Thank you lovely people for following. I'm following you back! Happy Planting!
-Mary

Lisa Lynn said...

Great post! I've planted my fall broccoli and rutabegas, plus another round of beans. This weekend I'm hoping to get carrots and beets planted, and maybe peas.

Good luck to everyone planting for fall. Hopefully we'll get some rain and cooler temps soon!

Unknown said...

I will definitely be doing some beets! I didn't know you could plant them in August! Thanks for the tips!

Nicole said...

Great looking vegetables and great tips! Thanks for linking up and have a very nice weekend.

Clint Baker said...

First time stopping in and have really enjoyed! Can't wait to read more! Stop by and follow at:
http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for adding this to the Our Favorite Things link party. Have a great weekend.

Stacey said...

Thanks for your helpful post!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Lots of great information! You're being featured tonight at Mom On Timeout - thanks for sharing!

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

I just covered our lettuce patch today with shade cloth and thought about planting more spinach and lettuce for this fall. Your guide is very helpful! Thank you for sharing at Farm Fresh Friday, hope you'll join us regularly!!

suzyhomemaker said...

This is good info. Maybe it is not too late for my carrots. I had just about given up on them, but maybe they will still grow. Fingers crossed!

Erin said...

Great post!! Thanks.

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Pinning this! Fall always sneaks up on me and I really want a Fall garden this year. Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Mary Smith said...

Thanks so much for all of your positive feedback! There's always something on sale at Mary's Heirloom Seeds, right not it's Herb Seeds!
http://marysheirloomseeds.com/herb-seeds.html

And don't forget to enter the Mary's Basics giveaway!
http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2012/08/celebrating-with-giveaway.html

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I can always use some good garden information! Thanks for sharing the fall tips!