Friday, January 20, 2012

Growing Dill

Short and sweet post today: DILL!

Dill is a very easy herb to grow and can be grown indoors or outdoors. 

Dill enjoys full sun, and flourishes in average to fertile soil with good drainage.
Sun can damage dill if it has too much of it. However, you will want sun shining on it at least six hours a day. If you have some moisture in the air this is great. But if you struggle with moisture in the air you will want to mist your dill plant from time to time. 

To plant dill, place seeds over loose soil and cover about a half inch deep.  Keep soil moist but not water-logged.

Much of this information (and more) is available at Easy to grow Herbs.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I'm hoping to grow some dill this year, but had bad luck growing the fern-leaf variety a few years ago. It started out just fine, got big and smelled sooooo good, but then it started turning yellow and never did recover. Someone said there might have been something lacking in the soil, but I never could figure it out because I know how easy it is to grow. I think this time I'll grow the regular kind and see if I do better!

Mary Smith said...

Did you grow the dill in a container? I've read that Dill likes lots of organic matter. When I transplanted my little dill plants I added compost and aged manure to the bottom of the container.

I hope this helps.