1 - 5 gallon bucket
1 cup organic, Non-GMO Alfalfa Meal
Why do I specify Non-GMO Alfalfa Meal? Alfalfa is considered a "high risk" gmo crop in the US.
From my last tutorial,
High-Risk Crops (in commercial production; ingredients derived from these must be tested every time prior to use in Non-GMO Project Verified products (as of December 2011):
- Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
- Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
- Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
- Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
- Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)
So here we go...
Fill bucket with water. Leave a little room to add the organic Alfalfa Meal.
Once you've added the Alfalfa Meal to the water, stir for approx 3-5 minutes.
Leave mixture outside for 1-4 days.
***Cover your bucket if you have small children or animals around.***
I prefer to cover the bucket.
There you have it!
Why do we use Alfalfa Meal Tea?
From Mary's Heirloom Seeds,
Derived from leguminous perennial alfalfa plant used for pasture and cover crop. Primary benefit of this pleasant smelling meal is increasing organic matter, although it is also a valuable plant-derived fertilizer.
- NPK analysis is 2.8-0.29-2.4
- Contains trace minerals and triaconatol
- Excellent addition to the compost pile for nitrogen content and absorbency
- Roses respond especially well to alfalfa meal
- WSDA Certified Organic Alfalfa Meal
From our blog: Make Your Own Liquid Fertilizer with Alfalfa Meal
Seasonal planting can take a toll on your garden. As most crops grow they take up valuable elements and minerals from the soil depleting it of resources and making it less fertile over time.
Alfalfa Meal can help restore soil and bring back its full growing potential. With a unique 3-1-2 ratio, Alfalfa Meal is an all natural, organic fertilizer that replenishes sugar, starches and proteins that help keep your plants growing healthy and strong.