Friday, November 9, 2012

Eco-Friendly Gift Giving (part 2) Decorate it!

I mentioned a few days ago to Save Your Jars.  Today I'll finally share the why you should save them.  I use jars of all shapes and sizes for so many things.  While the items that I use may not be eco-friendly, my method is!  I did not buy anything new.  I used whatever I had on hand.  These decorated jars will be filled with cool stuff which I'll share next.

Decorate with Ribbon

First I measure and cut a ribbon to go around the top of the jar and another to around the sides.  I used a glue gun to secure the first ribbon around the sides.
The next went around the top of the jar.  I started the ribbon and a attached the end to the same area that I would attach my bow (shown below)  That way I could cover up the ends.

I cut 2 smaller pieces approx 4 inches each to make a bow. 
 Fold each piece in half an glue (I used a hot glue gun).
Then glue them them together (crisscrossed like so). Once you glues them together, glue them to your jar and add a cute button.

I made another jar and decorated it with a ribbon AND puffy paint!
I started with writing her name and then I added dots!

I'm bringing back the DIY Chalkboard Jar!  I added a bit of puffy paint for an outline and a quick ribbon (no glue).  SO EASY!!!

There are a few more jar projects I'm working on so you'll just have to stay tuned.  I'll decorate a few more and share what to fill them with !

This is a series:
Eco-Friendly Gift Giving (part 1) Grow It!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a great gift idea! I've been giving baking for gifts for a while now. I started with one of my brothers, and now it seems to be extending to everyone on our Christmas gift giving list. It is something consumable that doesn't leave the recipient with more clutter, so it fulfills two of my, and most other people's desire!

Thea said...

They look great! What a clever idea! :)

Melanie said...

Hello and happy friendship Friday! Cute idea!
Melanie
Melaniescrazylife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Cute idea! I have a whole jar stash. Thanks for sharing on Super Sweet Saturday.
STeph
swtboutique.blogspot.com

Paula said...

What a pretty way to repurpose those jars!!

jjtressler said...

Extremely cute! Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to reading more of your blog!

http://myfrontporch1.blogspot.com/

Nicole said...

So simple and elegant! Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

very cute indeed!
thank so much for linking up with us at an aloha affair! so happy to have you. have a great week-end!
www.kendrakaypahukoa.blogspot.com

Sarah Leonard said...

I love these jar based gifts - they are so cute!

Thanks for linking up :)

Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

Feral Turtle said...

What a great way to recycle jars! So pretty. Cheers.

Unknown said...

Cute ideas, I really love the chalk board jar. I'm kind of obsessed with chalk boards right now. Thanks for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

mail4rosey said...

These are great and I know my kids would like to help make these too!

Tammy Killoough said...

How adorable is that? I wouldn't have ever thought of this! Thanks for sharing over at Deja Vue Designs....I bet my readers will LOVE this! ~Tammy

Jessica said...

These are all so cute! Thanks for sharing at Sweet Saturday :)

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

How cute! I love the blue ribbon and little bow. I've been saving jars for forever but never really know what to do with them. :-)

Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Unknown said...

what a cute idea on how to re-use those jars! thanks for sharing this with us.

Hugs,
Lelanie

Unknown said...

Wow, what fun ways to wrap your eco-friendly gifts! Thanks for sharing on the homemade holiday party.

Marilyn
4you-withlove.blogspot.com