Monday, April 2, 2012

The Politics of Food

Although some may disagree, I don't consider myself a politically active individual.  I do however feel very strongly about MY FOOD, which some say is highly political.

Think about this question: How is it that we live in such an advanced world (technology, medicine, science) and yet "the world is facing a hunger crisis unlike anything it has seen in  more than 50 years"?
925 million people are hungry.  In the US alone 15.1% live in poverty.

The price of food has gone up while the quality has gone down.  Have you ever stopped to READ a label in the grocery store?  If you can't pronounce it, your body probably does not need it.  If you have ever wondered how your food is made or how your meat is raised, I urge you to watch the movie Food Inc. or read the book The Future of Food.

There is some debate as to whether organic food is actually better or healthier than conventionally grown (chemical laden) food.  There is no doubt in my mind that the food I grow in my own garden is better for me than anything I can buy in the store.  When I eat a homegrown tomato it was taken from the vine 5 minute prior.  The Swiss Chard I saute was freshly harvested and I know for a fact that no chemicals were use, it was not irradiated and it didn't have to travel hundreds of miles (or even 1 mile) to my dinner table.

Now I'm not saying I eat perfect.  I don't cook everything from scratch and there are plenty of canned goods in my pantry.  The point I am trying to make is that it is up to each and every person to be responsible.  Don't expect policy makers or big-agro to look out for you and your family.   I'm tired of the "Oh don't worry about it" attitude.  I might just scream next time I hear "You can't worry about what you have no control of."  REALLY?  

What about the women in Michigan who turned her front yard into a raised bed garden and faced jail time.  Read an article here.  Fortunately for her and her family, the city of Oak Park dropped the charges.

What can you do about it?
The California Initiative to Label GMOs is a step in the right direction.  They hope to "Ensure the safety of food for California families and children."  I have written about GMOs many times.  Long story short, they are bad for the bees and there has been NO research done to find out what effect they may have on the human body.

Be aware.  Get active.
-Michigan has decided to ban Heritage Pigs.  Read about it at Food Freedom News
-The FDA Deleted 1 Million signatures for GMO Labeling.  Read about it at Natural Society.

Have you ever thought about the EFFECTS of GMO food?  No?  Do you know what they are?  Neither does the FDA, USDA or Monsanto.  There could be devastating long-term effects, both to the human body and our environment as a whole.  Read about CCD and the Bees.

I WILL fight for the future of my food.  I will continue to grow my own veggies (maybe even raise chickens one day) and I hope the USDA, the FDA and the federal government would mind their own business.  And really, if the USDA or FDA allows companies to sell PINK SLIME, than I think it should be OK for me to grow my own food and share it with my friends.

1 comment:

The Soap Sister said...

AMEN! I couldn't agree more -I've seen Food Inc. and think that EVERYONE should watch it (at least once) GMOs should be labeled! MSG should be called ONLY MSG and it should be labeled as well.

I believe that much of what is called ADD or ADHD in children has everything to do with sensitivity to EXCITOTOXINS like MSG that are in the food supply.

Gardening is the way to go. My siblings and I were fortunate enough to be raised on wonderful, homegrown veggies and have a lovely garden (courtesy of my father-in-law's hard work)

It's all about what WE as consumers will buy/put up with. Stop buying it and they'll quit making it. Insist on better quality folks, your family deserves it, and every dollar you spend is a vote.

(And you thought I was done ranting for the week! ;))