Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer in the Garden

Growing vegetables in your garden is amazing! Being out in the sun with fresh air makes me feel alive. This morning I was cleaning up in the garden, moistening germinating Cherokee Purple seeds and picking cutworms from my large tomato plants and Cucumber bush. It was such a refreshing feeling!

Lately I seem to be obsessed with tomatoes. I've spent hours reading about natural remedies for pests and disease and there is STILL so much to learn. The internet makes learning so easy. However, the local library has so much to offer! I've started a list of remedies that have worked so far.

For white fly: Mix liquid soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray every 2-3 days for 2 weeks.

For powdery mildew and fungus: Mix organic neem oil and water in a spray bottle. Follow the directions on the bottle. Do not get this in your eyes!

For Ants: Sprinkle Cinnamon or Cayenne pepper to form a barrier.

No comments: